We have held a commission meeting during the EPSC 2018 in Berlin, Germany. The topics covered were the followings:
- Search for publication tools to make ICA CPC publications more visible and more referenced (reviews, blogs, link to publication platforms like sciencedirect.com, Wikipedia presence, contact potential educators directly (via mailing list) to call attention to available publications related to planetary cartography and to encourage them to use it).
- Chair change: current chair proposes A. Nass (DLR). National ICA member (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kartographie) will be contact to propose A. Nass as next commission chair at General Assembly in Tokyo. “The General Assembly shall, at the same time, approve terms of reference for that Commission.”
- Our candidate chair will develop her new terms of reference for 2019-2023 (old ToR: https://planetcarto.wordpress.com/terms-of-reference/)
- Standardization of map making and archiving in Europe: discussion on a ’standard’ map production process (on European level) to ensure compatibility in creation and archiving
- Archive for planetary mapping results is needed. For this purpose a method has to be compiled that enables an efficient and sustainable search for cartographic products (analogue and digital). Archive should include and base on already existing map database.
- Reviewing the quality of planetary maps (outside USGS mapping program) is a problem: we could form a group of volunteer reviewers who would help finalizing planetary maps
- Children’s map series: continue and focus more on age group peculiarities: focus groups / tests with maps, including “reverse side” photomap, and variants, asking their interpretation
- Next commission meeting in Tokyo 2019
- ICC 2019, Tokyo: Commission abstract (poster) about the book (in preparation).
Signed: Henrik Hargitai, Andrea Naß